When it comes to moving there are so many things to do that it’s easy to forget a few. Here is a checklist that is easy to follow, simply check the box in each category upon completion. We hope it helps make your move go smoothly!
30 to 15 Days Before Moving
- Sell or give anything away you won’t move. Maybe plan a garage sale, or donate items to charity.
- Make a list of everything to be moved.
- Call several movers for estimates.
- Consider insurance on movables.
- Estimate packing cartons needed and purchase them.
- Gather and store dental, medical and pet’s veterinary records. Ask for a professional referral for a new doctor, dentist and veterinarian.
- Pick up Change of Address Moving Kit from the Post Office.
- Send out change-of-address cards, especially to old and new neighborhood post offices.
- Contact children’s school and have transcripts forwarded.
- For tax purposes, keep a record of all moving expenses and keep receipts of any items you donate to charity.
- Arrange for disconnection of utilities and re-connection at new location.
14 Days Before Moving
- Pack one room at a time and label all boxes as to what’s in them and the room in your new house they should go to. Label furniture as to the room it should go to.
- Make sure you return items you’ve borrowed from library and friends.
- Resign memberships to clubs.
- Arrange the cancellation of newspaper and other home deliveries.
- Ask bank to release safe deposit box and transfer account to new bank.
- Arrange for cash, traveler’s checks, or certified checks. (Movers usually require cash or certified check.)
- Drain gas from your lawn mower and dispose of flammable items.
- Arrange to have your phone disconnected.
- Transfer your insurance so you will be covered at your new home.
Day Before Moving
- Prepare a first aid kit for your trip. Include your daily medical needs.
- Pack a suitcase you can live out of, if necessary, for the first three days in your new home.
- Empty and defrost refrigerator and freezer and let them air dry for a day. Deodorize large appliances with baking soda or coffee.
- Remember to leave the keys to your old property with your real estate agent.
- Give driver written directions to new address.
- After van is packed and weighed, determine final moving bill. Make sure you have payment ready before van is unloaded at new address.
- Confirm arrival date and time.
- Pack vacuum last so you can reach it easily to clean new home.
- Before you leave, check every room, closets and the attic a final time.
- Check locks on doors and windows.